Remember you all told me I should go for that extra appointment to check growth, if it would ease my mind? How you said it wasn't useless at all, if it would ease my mind? How I agreed wholeheartedly with the philosophy that one should never be afraid to ask for rechecks, if they will ease one's mind? Yeah. I've been stuck on that last bit.

What I wanted, at the time I wrote these posts, was reassurance that it was all going to be ok. Now, I love you guys and you always do your best, but without an ultrasound wand and my case history in front of you (er... well, the wand then) there's only so much you can do. And whilst a followup appointment has sufficient power to reassure, it comes with no such guarantee. You have to go into that room willing to hear the truth, not just your prefered scenario.

Today I decided I was ready for the truth. As luck would have it, the clinic had an afternoon cancellation, so I was able to go down almost straight away. And everything is fine. Even my urine glucose is fine.

SOB took more measurements this time, I think partly in demonstration of the "margin of error" concept, although it was an outside-the-margin measurement I was worried about on the last scan. He also noted - seemingly apropos of nothing - that I probably wouldn't start feeling movement for another couple of weeks yet, which I take to mean either that we have an anterior placenta*, or that he doesn't want to see me rushing in there for another check next week just because I can't feel proper movement. Probably both fair points.

Anyway, there you have it. Another non-crisis averted. I am profoundly relieved.

--
*I just double-checked the ultrasound pic he gave me. The placenta is indeed anterior. I think even I can work that one out.


21 Comments

Anonymous said...

Excellentay.

(Now you have 24 hours till the next scheduled stress-out, so enjoy it xx)

Amanda said...

I am so glad you were able to have, at least a temporary, reprieve from the stress. And even more glad that everything is going well with the baby!

(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Relief sighed across the hemispheres. Good deal.

Serenity said...

SO happy to hear this... exhaling in relief and happiness for you.

Somewhat Ordinary said...

Wonderful, wonderful news!

beagle said...

It eases my mind too . . . I'm so glad all is well.

Sarah said...

since you already knew we all believe we are more qualified than our own RE's it should come as no surprise that our mind-easing diagnosis was spot on.

JJ said...

So happy you have some peace of mind=)

Samantha said...

That is the problem isn't it? We can't just get more information only if it's good, it's what makes these decisions so difficult.

I'm glad you can lighten the worry load, at least for a little while :)

Thalia said...

I'm so relieved bea, of course nothing like how you must be feeling. But great news, i'm v pleased.

Anonymous said...

So so so glad to hear that all is well. That placenta being in the way will definitely delay your feeling him/her, but it won't be much longer! Next time you think you feel a gas bubble, think again! ;-)

GLouise said...

Glad to hear the update. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Oh bea! I couldn't be happier. You are brave for going into that moment and facing such a spectrum of scenarios.

One breath after the other darlin'

Anonymous said...

Good news!

megan said...

very good news, Bea.

my placenta is anterior too. it has made for some stressful doppler sessions...including one where the midwife left the room to go and change the batteries. i thought i might die. the position seems to explain a lot of things though so it is good that you know this.

ColourYourWorld said...

That is great news Bea.
I am happy you are relieved. Enjoy :)

Jess said...

Yay for a good scan!!

I *heart* that your clinic will just let you come for a scan. I had to BEG my doc for a scan (this was OB not RE at that point) WHEN I WAS BLEEDING in my second trimester. I mean really! LOVE that you could get some reassurance.

Keep on keepin' on! :)

Bea said...

Jess - when I chose an OB in Singapore before FET#5, one of my criteria was that s/he'd be understanding of my need for extra reassurance. I try not to cry wolf, and I take great pains to distinguish between "just want a check" and "I think something's wrong", but I do like knowing they will accommodate me.

I'm sorry your OB had to be begged! I would have thought bleeding at any point would warrant a visit.

Bea

Barb said...

Yay for good news!

Pamela T. said...

Sometimes you have to go with the gutt ... glad the results brought the peace of mind you needed.

Geohde said...

Here's hoping that the relief and reassurance lasts, or you'll need to go all Cruise and buy an ultrasound machine. ALthough with the amount of scans I've needed lately I'm beginning to consider it too.

J

Powered by Blogger.