In the end, the flood waters were a lot less severe through our town than the worst predictions. This was, basically, because the weather stopped dumping torrential rain on our catchment areas at just the right time, allowing the hydologists to stop releasing water from the upstream dam. The dam was already doing a lot to spare us from the more dangerous flash flooding which occurred upstream and in other parts of the state, and in the end it was able to spare us from waters high enough to reach our house, as well. Our neighbour, who elected to stay (their house has three stories compared to our one - still, they stayed up til high tide at 4am Thursday morning just in case they needed to pile into the car and leave), reports that the flood waters stopped a good block or so away and are now receding.

Earlier, they were talking about the possibility of more flooding with the king tide next week, but as the waters reached us, the media stopped discussing anything that wasn't of immediate concern. I think, now that we've experienced our longest period without rain since... gosh - in months? - and the medium-term forecast is looking a bit more accurate, this concern has subsided. However, I am having trouble getting confirmation on this. Apart from the same, basic desire to know what's going to happen next that everyone must be experiencing, my nesting mind wants to know when we should put everything back in preparation for the birth. At present - and due to the absolutely amazing efforts of our helpers who whisked the entire contents of our house away between dinner time on Tuesday and lunch time on Wednesday - it is squirreled away in four separate locations across a twenty kilometre radius and I don't really know what's where. On the plus side, I think I can actually get to the hospital I'm booked into again now, and possibly even meet my own obstetrician if need be. Yesterday it was looking very much like my choices were either telephone-guided home care, or nearest emergency room. Which is not the worst possible set of choices, but "in person with own OB at intended hospital" is much better.

At any rate, today is going to be a day for cleaning. The extreme humidity this summer has caused (I discovered once the house was empty) mildew to grow behind most of our furniture, and there doesn't seem much else for me to do today except keep an ear on the radio and take the opportunity to scrub down the walls. And maybe try to find where I left my shorts. Or at least Mr Bea's shorts, which fit me nicely at the moment. And the Prata Baby's kiddy toothpaste, which he misses very much.


8 Comments

BigP's Heather said...

Fantastic news!!

Scrubbing walls - not fun. Sorry!

Betty M said...

So pleased to see you and your house escaped the waters.

Jess said...

So, so glad you are all safe and it looks like your house is as well!!

Summer said...

So glad to see this news! Although, not the part about mildew in the walls.

Vee said...

Good, good!
Mildew not so good, I suggest you wear a mask it's not good for you. But you probably already knew that.

Lut C. said...

I'm glad you're all right. I hadn't thought about the hospital not being available etc (silly me). That would have been a nightmare.

Ellen K. said...

I'm very relieved that your house was not flooded, but gosh -- just a block away. That was close. D and I have been looking at the pictures. I've seen a few big Mississippi River floods but I've always lived on the bluffs, not on the bank, so I've never had to evacuate our house.

Rachel Inbar said...

Glad this seems to be behind you. I've never had to evacuate my house, but it doesn't sound like fun.

Powered by Blogger.