Our neighbours moved out a couple of weeks ago, and so far, no-one else has moved in. On the weekend I was just stepping out when some prospective tenants came to view, and in a prospective-neighbourly way I said hi.

"Hello!" they responded, and then, giving a downward flick of the eyes towards my belly, one added, "Do you live next door?"

"Yes, we've been here about a year now*," I told them, turning the key in the door and pressing the button for the lift. "You're looking at moving in, then?"

"Well, we're just having a look," they replied, as the real estate agent grinned woodenly in the background and vaguely tried to usher them inside. The lift came, we said our goodbyes and I stepped inside.

I wonder if, two seconds after the door closed, they turned to the agent and said, "You know what? I think we've seen enough."


--
*Tenancies in Singapore are generally two years long.


9 Comments

Rachel Inbar said...

I'm obviously missing something here...

ColourYourWorld said...

Maybe they would be really happy, because grandma is babysitting their newborn whilst they are house hunting and they now know their child will have playmate when the move in....just a thought ;)

snowhite said...

Hey Bea,

A voice from the past... I've been away from blog world for very, very long time. Just read through some of your more recent pieces - so, so happy that all is going well for you!

I had an ICSI boy bub last May (after a very difficult pregnancy - lots of massive bleeds and many months of bed rest).

Anyway, the weekend we came home from the hospital the new owners of the next-door terrace moved in. They popped in to say hello and asked which bedroom the baby was sleeping in ;)

Caro said...

Not sure I'd want to live next door to a newborn either - even with my own due.

That said we have a detached house so hopefully he won't bother the neighbours too much.

TeamWinks said...

You just never know...

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Are you sure it's the upcoming baby and not your two-foot high pink mohawk and the "I LOVE TO BLAST MUSIC" tshirt? And the drugs...the druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs, Bea. And the harem of men. Have you ever thought that there are other reasons people don't want to move next door :-)

Pamela T. said...

Must be really weird to be on the other side. Just curious if you were the ones looking (say a year ago) and came across a woman with a baby bump, what would your reaction have been?

beagle said...

They could do a hell of a lot worse!

;-)

MsPrufrock said...

I suspect I hear more of my neighbour's loud guffaws more than they have ever heard P crying. With that said, I probably would have avoided living next to someone with a baby back in the day.

Eh, maybe you'll have one of those quiet babies who never cries. Or is that an urban myth?

Powered by Blogger.